- Cool-season grass - stays green year round
- Medium to dark green color, moderate density
- Texture ranges from coarse to medium
- A bunch-type grass.
- Adapted to moderately cold winters and warm summers
- Good heat tolerance for a cool-season grass
- Fairly deep root system helps avoid drought
- Prefers full sun
- Moderately tolerant to partial shade
- Suitable for moderate recreation and foot traffic areas exhibiting good initial wear recovery, especially in spring and fall when growth is rapid
- Can go into summer dormancy, with brown leaves, when irrigation is withheld; upon return of moisture supply, will green up again
- Susceptible to brown patch and crown rust
- Apply 0.5 to 1 inch of water as a deep soaking every 3 to 7 days to encourage a deep, healthy root system during dry or hot periods
- Avoid frequent, shallow watering - results in shallow roots, permitting weed germination and growth.
- Mowing height of 2 to 3 inches for a high quality lawn.
- Mow regularly with a sharp rotary or reel mower, allowing clippings from frequent mowing to remain on the lawn.
- Never remove more than 1/3 of the shoot growth at one mowing.
- Tall fescue forms very little thatch.
- Fertilize twice a year, spring and fall, with a complete fertilizer
- Will respond well to high nitrogen applications to achieve a higher quality turf
- For weeds, chemical controls are most effective during fall and spring.